Wednesday, September 19, 2007

NSCADU 9 intro


In the year end grad show when I graduated art school, I submitted a piece titled How to Hit a Knuckleball. It was a response to a piece I worked on during my final year titled How to Throw a Knuckleball. It was a simple readymade of stickball equipment (broom handle, spaldeen ball, hockey tape to wrap the handle). My name wasn't on the title block, but instead the artist was posted as NSCADU 9. I believe there are still some limited edition T-Shirts floating around out there.

This was a play on famous Canadian art collectives (Group of 7, Regina 5, know any others?) and the Mudville 9 from the Casey at Bat poem.
This also come from the brief stickball games played in the Granville mall between classes.

Mainly it was a response to the President's attempt at rebranding the art school. Essentially saying that the grads and their works are products of the institution.
So if we are the brand coming out of the institution, then we should be taking advantage. I've heard there are benefits to being a part of the NSCAD Mafia and maybe the acronym is looked at in good light on a CV. So........

I feel that the name of the institution can be used freely by grads and current students as we see fit. Not sure entirely where I am going with this, but I hope to see future collaborations beneath this name and at least exchange some ideas.
If anyone has ideas or input or just need to bounce ideas around let me know.

No comments: