Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Grad 04 Alumni twoonie project


For those of you that missed the grad 04 ceremonies there were some very rousing and some might say inspirational speeches given by our valedictorians and Richard Serra the honourary degree recipient.

There was also an Alumni speech to our grad class. I do not know how this person gets picked, but I've heard a lot better. He was no longer practicing in the arts and he reminded everyone how so few of us would continue in the arts. Though it may be true, not the most uplifting of words.

He congratulated as the newest alumni and as the semester had just been completed a few days prior. Then he told us that we'd soon receive the alumni newsletter and of course we should give them money right away. We didn't have to wait years to contribute back to our school. To his credit he did only ask for a twoonie and said everyone could do this. I think this was a little early to be begging for money especially as most have a mountain of loan debt at graduation. I was quite put off with the comments and took it up with the president, who assured me it was no decision of his.


I've been out of the country the last couple years, so I have not seen the Alumni letters, but next time they come calling I plan to donate a photocopied Twoonie. I made mine a signed limited edition, so it may fit into their collection and maybe even be worth more than the paper it's copied on some day. So join in, if you haven't given already.

No comments: